#DigPINS – Digital Pedagogy, Identity, Networks, & Scholarship
University of Michigan – Dearborn
Week 0 – Overview and Schedule
- Autumm Caines – University of Michigan – Dearborn – author of this page
- Christine Moskell – Colgate University
- Joe Murphy – Kenyon College
- Maha Bali – American University in Cairo
- Taylor Jadin – St. Norbert College
What is Week 0? Week 0 is just a fun name to give the time before the learning community activities actually start where we will give some orientation information. Note that Week 0 is five pages on this site which are linked at the end of each page and in the menu above.
There are no topical readings or planned group activities during Week 0 but there are a few housekeeping things that would be great if you could get out of the way during Week 0:
- Read through the Week 0 pages. Hey look! You’ve already started.
- Sign up for our Slack team. You will receive an email invite from me – As #DigPINS progresses we will move away from email and Slack will be our main form of communication, so let me know if you need help getting access to it. I recommend downloading the Slack desktop or mobile apps and adjusting your notifications.
- Look for an email from WordPress and follow the steps in it to set up your author account on our blog. If you’ve misplaced this email, let me know and I can help you out!
- Fill out this doodle poll. We are planning a video call during week one between all of the partner schools. We know we won’t be able to get a time that will work for everyone but we will base the time on what will work for most from the results of this doodle poll. If you could take a moment to fill it out during this week that would be great!
Building an Online Community
In the weeks that follow we will explore the possibilities of using digital tools to extend, expand, and further connect our community to each other and beyond. Community does not build itself and your participation in our various environments is what will make this experiences successful. You may find that you feel more comfortable in some environments than in others – this is natural and normal in digital spaces. Share your impressions and thoughts with our cohort or the larger network. Read what others are saying about their experiences and respond to them. It is these reflections and conversations that help us get to know one another.
Setting Personal Goals
Though there are no official “activities” for Week 0 we strongly recommend that you take this time to reflect on what you would like to get out of this experience. You may find that goals that you set for your experience here shift or change over time but setting a north star for yourself will help you to direct your experience and ask good questions that align with what is important. Having a clear goal is part of being successful in this kind of learning community. As Yogi Berra said, “you can observe a lot just by watching”, but you’ll learn more if you set some targets for tools you’d like to try out, topics you’d like to explore, or activities you’d like to do. So we encourage you to spend some time thinking about your goals for the next month of #DigPINS.
A great way to get started is to post your goals as an introduction in Slack – our backchannel. Find out more about Slack on our Digital Tools page of Week 0.
Working in partnership
Note that this site (umd.digpins.org) is the public hub for those participating in the University of Michigan – Dearborn cohort but that we are working in a larger network. Each of our networked schools also have their own hub: American University in Cairo, Colgate University, Kenyon College, and St. Norbert College all have public hubs of their own. You can visit these other hubs to read blog reflections from others working in other schools. You can also visit discuss.digpins.org which pulls in all of the blog posts from each of the schools into one place – currently there are posts from past #DigPINS cohorts but new posts will also be aggregated there.
Note that the content info for each focus area (pedagogy, identity, networks, and scholarship) that lists activities and content may slightly differ between hubs. Cohorts will also author blog posts only on their public hub. Members of the UM-D cohort will blog on this site.
Week 0 focus areas
Week 0 is broken up into four pages –
The Overview Page – (Psst… you are on the Overview page)
Participation – What does it mean to participate in a connected learning experience?
Structure – What is a connected learning experience?
Digital Tools – #DigPINS uses a variety of digital tools and this page has details about many of them.